I really want to release a demo to get a feedback on the actual game, but there are a few things that I think should be fixed before I release a early preview build:
- Redesign the hardcoded input system, I’m working on this now
- Add lights and shadows to the renderer, this will really help the player determine the depth when flying around and help immersion
- Add 2d rendering/menu, this will provide the GUI for the “press start to play” so the game know what control to accept input from
- Physics motor, this is perhaps the most important feature. This will allow the player to control the heading of the ship while the motor control the amount of torque to apply to keep that heading
- First person/cockpit view, as I pretty much already have oculus rift support, this is a given, however given the way the craft moves it might make you really dizzy.
I have started implementing the basic controls for both the keyboard and joysticks and to test everything out I added basic thrust and torque controls, and while this is really hard to control as each torque requires a counter torque from stopping to spinning I started thinking. The WebGL version of lander and I recall the original (I still can’t get it to play on my win7 system) let’s you enter the desired orientation and let a AI controls the torque thrusts. This is a much easier control scheme as you don’t have to compensate for the rotational adjustments.
Going a step further one could add another AI layer to control the main thruster and let the player use a fps-like control to control the lander. With this control system a couple of issues arise on how the camera, the input display and, most important, the aiming should work, and I’m thinking time and testing will only tell if this is a feasible input system, I believe it’s a good way to testing the AI that will be controlling the enemy landers.
I’m working hard, soon I will have input partly completed but in the meantime have a look at the physics in action on these stand-in graphics:
Development on the game engine has been slow this past week so this week I’ve been thinking about the background music for the game. I don’t know the actual graphical style of the game just yet but I think I narrowed down the musical style to either some slow form of swing/jazz like this:
Or some some ambient 80’s style electro music like this.
Given the I’ve already found some electro music that seems to be fitting and that lander used some similar music pieces, it’s safe to assume that I will be using that electro music during the early alpha builds.